Do you have an online store? Are you trying to think of clever ways to attract customers and make sure they keep coming back for more? Then read on my friend, as we are going to show you how adding a WooCommerce coupon plugin to your store can help nurture customer loyalty and increase sales.
Why Do People Adore Discount Coupons?
We’ve all been stuck behind people at the supermarket checkout that have more coupons than cash in their wallets. We may even sneer at them for holding up the line whilst the cashier scans the endless stream of neatly cut and organized clippings. Heck, some people seem to spend much of their day coupon-hunting and organizing their trips to the grocery store to use them before they expire! And boy, can those people argue when told their five-cent coupon is invalid!
Laugh as we may, those people are perfect customers. Why? Simple – because they are buying the brand that is offering the coupon rather than a different one. And as they perceive the ‘deal’ they are getting is a great one, they are often encouraged to buy in bulk too.
The psychology behind coupons and discounts is simple – people love value. Even if they only save a few cents, they believe those few cents should stay in their pocket rather than the profit of some greedy retailer.
Deals offered vary enormously – discounts on a product, two-for-one, buy one get the second half price, freebies, etc. But they all have one thing in common – to get the shopper to purchase a particular brand.
Coupons have been used to create and maintain brand loyalty for decades now. You see them everywhere – newspapers, magazines, flyers, and even on product packaging. People love saving money on purchases, even if just a few cents.
The great thing about coupons is it encourages people to purchase products they would otherwise not bother buying. The thinking here is that once they have tried the product at a discounted price, they will like it enough to realize it is worth paying the full price in the future. Such a strategy does not work with the ‘professional’ coupon collectors who don’t see value in quality – they just want something as cheap as possible. It does work on the majority of the populace though.
People Expect Coupons Whilst Shopping Online Too
People really love shopping. It’s basically all we go to work for, as almost everything we consume needs to be bought.
The internet has made shopping so easy and convenient – we can now shop without even leaving the house. But that does not mean we stopped demanding discounts. The attitude remains that if a company is to get our business, they are going to have to make their product prices as attractive as possible.
So, it comes as no surprise that coupons have crept into online shopping too. Before you dismiss adding them to your store as being something only Scrooge would be interested in, think about the following:
Article Continues Below
- 93% of consumers agreed they would shop with an online retailer again if offered good discounts
- 88% will try a new retailer or brand just because they’ve found an offer
- 4% of students always or usually check for discounts before purchasing online
- 72% of Baby Boomers would shop online more if it were easier to use coupons
- 70% said they couldn’t complete a purchase without first looking for a better deal
- 57% of shoppers say online promotions are important to them.
- 53% of consumers always look for sales or promos before buying online
- 32% of shoppers say they have abandoned an online shopping cart because they found a better offer elsewhere
And there are tons more statistics like that listed on the blog of Access, America’s largest discount network. That should convince you that adding coupons to your online store could be a great idea.
Tip: don’t forget to check out WordPress Coupons.
So How Do You Add Coupons To Your Online Store?
WooCommerce has a very limited coupon feature built-in. You can find more about that on the WooCommerce Blog. Thankfully, our old friend, plugins (or extensions as WooCommerce calls them), can add greater functionality allowing you to create coupon schemes tailored to your specific needs. And being plugins, adding that extra functionality is a breeze.
Of course, knowing what kind of discounts you wish to offer will aid in selecting the most suitable plugin. You may also need to have a budget for that plugin as the best functionality comes with the paid ‘pro’ versions.
As with any plugin, taking note of the reviews, user ratings, update history, compatibility, and support offered are essential. If any plugin scores poorly on those points, find another one. The only exception here would be for ones that have just been launched and have no recorded history. In those cases, it is your call as to whether you want to be one of the first to try it out.
Below we suggest seven such coupon plugins you can use to augment your existing WooCommerce discount coupon functionality. The list is not definitive and is not given in any order of preference. But it does contain ones we consider to be worthy of a try.
Please note that all prices and review scores were correct at the time this article was published.
Advanced Coupons Plugin
Advanced Coupons Plugin is immensely popular with over 8,000 active downloads, a 5.0/5.0 star rating, and flawless reviews on the WordPress plugin directory. Therefore, it’s highly likely to be a safe addition to give your WooCommerce store coupon functionality.
The main features of Advanced Coupons Plugin include the following:
- Ability to create BOGO deals
- Give coupons that automatically add products to the cart, either free or discounted
- Loyalty program facility. These are great for customer retention and repeat business.
- Customizable cart conditions
- URL and shipping coupons also possible
- Automatically apply discounts if the predetermined cart-conditions have been fulfilled
Advanced Coupons Plugin does offer a free, slimmed-down version with limited features. If you are looking for true WooCommerce advanced coupon functionality, you should consider upgrading this plugin to either the ‘Growth’ or ‘Business’ pro versions. A detailed comparison table of the featured offered by all packages is available on the pricing section of the plugin website.
The Growth package currently costs $49.50 per year for a single site. If you have more than one store, you will need the Business package which costs $99.50 for the year but covers unlimited stores. Business also offers priority email support, whilst Growth only has standard support. Both versions feature automatic updates. Interestingly, the Business version also includes a developer license, so if you are code-savvy, you will be able to really dig in and customize it.
Why not give this plugin a try using the free version, to begin with? Alternatively, you could start with one of the paid plans as a 14-day money-back guarantee is offered.
Smart Coupons by WooCommerce
Given this is only available through WooCommerce themselves, you can expect this plugin to be pretty reliable and up-to-date. According to WooCommerce, Smart Coupon is their best-selling plugin, with over 15,000 businesses using it. It has a 4.6/5.0 star rating.
Key features and benefits of Smart Coupon include:
- Ability to offer store credits, vouchers, and gift certificates, free gift coupons, time-sensitive discounts, seasonal promotions, location-based coupons
- Bulk coupon generation
- Advanced coupon restrictions
- Automatic coupon issuance
- Subscription and recurring coupons
- Customizable designs
- Easy management
Some downsides are:
- Some customers are reporting difficulties in setting it up
- Whilst in the reviews most customers state they are satisfied with the plugin, some have criticized the support offered by the developer (StoreApps)
Smart Coupons costs $99 billed annually. That includes updates and supports for the year. A 30-day moneyback guarantee is offered, so trying it is risk-free.
WooCommerce Extended Coupon Features Free
This could be an option if you have no budget to blow on an all-singing, all-dancing plug-in. It extends the in-built coupon functionality of WooCommerce to include the following:
- Add coupons that are automatically added to the user’s cart if the coupon’s restrictions have been met
- Apply a coupon via a URL
- Restrict coupons by shipping and/or payment method, a combination of products, or to certain customer roles
If you have some budget available, a Pro version is available for an annual subscription starting at €29 excl. VAT (dropping to €25 for subsequent years) for a single license. This adds the following features:
- Discount on first purchase only
- Give away free products
- Buy One Get One (BOGO) matching products
- Limit discount to every nth item in the cart (for example, buy 3 pay 2), or to the cheapest item
- Automatic coupon priorities
- Custom fields matching and error message
Impressively, this plugin has a star rating of 5.0/5.0 in the WordPress plugin directory, with over 30,000 active installations running. The only criticism seemed to be that is a little slow, although, on the whole, everyone seems to love it.
Whilst it’s not full-featured, the free plugin does significantly increase your coupon-offering options for no cost whatsoever. The Pro version adds loads more options at a very reasonable price.
Smart Coupons for WooCommerce
Not to be confused with Smart Coupons by WooCommerce, this plugin was developed by WebToffee. It brings significantly more functionality to the inbuilt WooCommerce coupon code feature. This includes several really useful features, such as:
- The ability to generate bulk coupons
- Set coupon restrictions with various checkout options
- Sell gift coupons that customers can email to the recipient. They can then redeem the coupons in your online store
- Ability to offer buyers the option of purchasing store credit for use by themselves, or gifted to others
- Flexible options to set the combination of coupons that can be applied to a purchase
- A very useful facility to import coupons in CSV files
This plugin boasts a 4.7/5.0 star rating in the WordPress directory, with over 9,000 downloads are currently in operation. Out of the twenty-two customer reviews, only two are negative, and the faults they complain of may well relate to incorrect setup or use rather than issues with the plugin itself.
This is a paid plugin. $69 per year will cover a single site. That rises to $199 for up to twenty-five sites. Those prices include one year of updates and ticketed support. A 30-day money-back guarantee is offered for your peace of mind.
Discount Rules for WooCommerce
This versatile plugin will allow you to set up and run a wide range of promotions. That gives you great flexibility on what discounts you offer and how they are structured. It can automatically apply discounts subject to the customer meeting your preset criteria. Such discounts can be applied without needing the customer to enter any coupon codes – great for bulk purchasing discounts. A cool wizard interface allows you to easily set up the discount rules in three easy steps.
The key features of this plugin include:
- Dependent product discounts and Buy One Get One (BOGO)
- Multiple discount rules per purchase can be set
- Discounts can be based on cart total or line items, as well as customers’ purchase history
- Facility to exclude on-sale products or other specific items from the discount rules
- Dynamic pricing and discounts based on quantity ranges
- Discounts can be displayed both on the product pages as well as in the carts
- Ability to offer free shipping based on conditions which you specify
According to the WordPress plugin directory, this is an incredibly popular addition to WooCommerce stores, with over 60,000 active downloads in existence. Customers have rated it 4.8/5.0 stars – very impressive. Most of the negative reviews are unsubstantiated and could be attributed to incorrect setup. Of the 386 reviews, 355 have given it top marks, so it is safe to say that this is a good, reliable plugin.
Pricewise, there is a free option available, although that has very limited functionality. We recommend you invest the $49 it costs per year for the single-site Pro version. That unlocks the full range of features, plus it adds updates and support for a full year. Am annual license for up to five sites costs $79, whilst up to twenty-five sites will set you back a very reasonable $129.
Pricing Deals Pro for WooCommerce
Another popular plugin to help you enhance your discount options in your WooCommerce store, Pricing Deals Pro is currently running on 7,000 active sites. The customer rating of 4.4/5.0 stars and generally positive reviews mean that you are unlikely to have any significant issues using this plugin.
The plugin will give your site considerable functionality over the coupon options already included in WooCommerce, such as:
- Category pricing
- Order history cart discount reporting
- BOGO / percent / fixed amount / package / cheapest vs. most expensive / equal vs lesser value item discounts
- Select (include or exclude) by whole store, variation name across products, brands, groups, or members
- Bulk discount, e.g. buy X and get a discount, buy Y and get a larger discount (with X and Y being either quantity or monetary values)
- Theme sales and promotions by displaying the rule message, for example, “For one-day only!”
- Show cart discounts directly in the unit price, or as an automatically-inserted coupon
The Pro version includes the following additional functionality:
- Select (include or exclude) by entire store, category, custom pricing deals category, product, variation, brand, user role, groups, customer email or name, members
- Advanced select group options using “And”, “Or’, “Each” type expressions
- Insert free items automatically and set per-customer limits
- Product-level deal participation selection
- Wholesale tax-free and buy tax-free purchasing options
- Option to add a message next to all catalog discounts
In common with the other plugins that have negative feedback from users, a couple of negative comments against this plugin are not supported by any description of the issues encountered. Therefore, it’s impossible to know if those comments are valid or not. However, overall, the vast majority of Pricing Deals Pro users are very happy with it, so it is safe to ignore the negative comments.
As discussed above, the free version already has quite a lot of features included. If you want the extra things the Pro version provides, be prepared to pay $50 for a year-long license for one site, all the way up to $300 per year for ten sites, all with a 30-day moneyback guarantee.
Advanced Dynamic Pricing for WooCommerce
With the Advanced Dynamic Pricing plugin, it is possible to quickly set-up all the discounts and dynamic pricing rules you require for your WooCommerce store. The rules can be easily activated or deactivated as and when needed.
Even with the free version, it is possible to configure the discounts in a variety of ways. These include fixed amounts, percentage adjustments, or you can set a fixed price for a product/group of products. Examples of what can be achieved include:
- Category-level discounts – discount products and provide free shipping
- Buy X items on a particular day and get Y% off
- Buy product X and get product Y for free. Such offers are immediately visible in the cart
- Buy a package and get a discount on each item separately, plus a free product
- Offer bulk discounts for selected items to wholesale buyers
- Offer a discount of X% to all items in a certain category if a particular product in the cart
Using just one pricing rule, it is possible to apply several conditions together, such as filter cart items by product, category, tag, or custom field, set the total price for a whole set, or apply cart discounts.
The plugin’s interface allows you to show or hide things like original prices, “on-sale” badges, bulk discount tables, as well as set rules for products already on sale.
The Pro version – which costs $50 per year for one site up to $300 for ten sites – allows you to adjust product prices on the fly, add exclusive rules or extra conditions. It will also provide statistics whereby you can monitor the performance of your discount strategies. Oh, and of course, it also adds updates and support for the year.
This is a hugely popular plugin, with a star rating of 4.8/5.0 and over 10,000 installations active. Of the 66 customer reviews on the WordPress plugin, only two were really negative, complaining of crashes. 62 people gave glowing reviews.
What’s your favorite Woocommerce coupon plugin?
Coupons and discounts are tried and tested methods of attracting sales and nurturing customer loyalty. Such tactics have been used in regular stores for many, many years. Statistics and research have shown that they are equally effective at increasing conversions in online stores too.
The choice of coupon plugins for WooCommerce stores is wide, and the one you ultimately pick will be mostly determined by your available budget and your specific discount strategy. If you are unsure about which to go for, most have free plans available. Opting for one of those will allow you to get the ‘feel’ of the plugin first. From that, you can decide to either stick with the free one, upgrade to the pro version, or move on and try something else. Even taking the Pro versions is relatively risk-free, with most developers offering generous moneyback guarantee periods.
Do you offer coupons or other types of discounts in your WooCommerce store? If so, which plugin is your favorite? If you do not currently offer discounts, will you be doing so after reading this article? Please do let us know in the comments section below.