Plugins are great, we use a number on WPLift, but are they always neccessary ? A lot of plugins just replicate functionality that you could just as easily build directly into the theme itself. This comes in handy for client sites, they dont have to stay on top of updating the plugins when new versions come out, which could break the existing functionality. If you are releasing a theme publicly then it should work “out of the box” with no need for plugins.
With this is mind, Im going to be looking at 20 hacks, tips and tutorials for replacing plugins by adding the functionality into your WordPress themes.
1. How to build a WordPress Post Pagination without plugin
WordPress only comes bundled with the “next page” and “previous page” links to navigate between different blog overview pages. If you happen to have a blog with a lot of posts or simply want to offer a better user experience I would recommend to remove those links and replace them with a pagination like most people are using in their templates.
2. Dynamic jQuery Featured Post Slider Tutorial
Three Part tutorial on how to create a featured post slider with jQuery.
- Part 1: How to make your own custom loops in WordPress using WP_Query
- Part 3: Putting it all together to dynamically show posts from the “featured” category in the slider
Dynamic jQuery Featured Post Slider Tutorial » Get Hosting »
3. Customize WordPress login logo without a plugin
WordPress login logo looks nice, but sometimes you may want to change it, for example when building a site for a client. In that case, you can use a plugin, or simply take advantage of this cool hack.
4. Display Your Popular Posts In WordPress Without A Plugin
How to show your most commented posts in your sidebar without the need for a plug-in. As a bonus it will grab your featured image to generate a small thumbnail to make it look more attractive.
5. Show Number of Retweets in WordPress Without a Plugin
Social proof is a powerful thing. Showing how many people are talking about your article on Twitter can encourage more people to talk about it, that’s a fact.
6. Show Related Posts in WordPress Without a Plugin
Related posts is a very popular feature. There are quite a few plugins that lets you have this feature but this tutorial shows you how to build it into your theme.
7. WordPress Breadcrumbs Without a Plugin
Breadcrumbs is an important element of a web site navigation, which boosts his usability. Especially it concerns to a sites with a complex structure. I have seen a different ways of a breadcrumbs implementation on WordPress sites, but not one of them I does not like, because all of them does not display a full chain of links. So I have created my version of WordPress breadcrumbs without a plugin.
8. Show Top Commentators In WordPress Without A Plugin
Here is a simple code snippet for getting the top commentators listing in WordPress so you don’t have to use a plugin for that purpose.
9. Recent Posts With Thumbnails In WordPress Without A Plugin
WordPress design — how to add thumbnails to your WordPress blog’s recent posts without the use of a plugin (it can be done). WordPress Plugins are cool, but can be a little temperamental over time as newer versions of WordPress are released.
10. How to Generate Perfect WordPress Title Tags without a Plugin
If you want to create perfect WordPress title tags without a plugin, this post will certainly help you do it. First we’ll explore some of the basics, continue with some common examples, and then conclude with a comprehensive, highly flexible script for generating distinct page titles.
11. How to Redirect WordPress Feeds to FeedBurner without a Plugin
In this article, we will show you how you can redirect WordPress RSS Feeds to Feedburner without using a plugin (This tip is for intermediate to advanced users).
12. Make A Custom Twitter Widget Without A Plugin
In this tutorial, I’ll show you:
- An overview of the HTML markup and associated CSS selectors
- Two examples of custom-styled Twitter widgets I’ve used myself
Make A Custom Twitter Widget Without A Plugin » Get Hosting »
13. Random WordPress Quotes Without A Plugin
Add random rotating quotes to y0ur theme, handy for showing customer testimonials.
14. Add Social Links to WordPress Without a Plugin
One WordPress plugin that almost everybody uses these days is one that lets you share your post on social bookmarking and social media websites. While plugins are great, they can also be bloaty, slow loading, require updates and just be a bit of a hassle in general. Luckily it’s very easy to add social links to your WordPress theme without a plugin, just using php and template tags.
15. How to: Display Random Posts in WordPress Without a Plugin
There are many plugins available that allow WordPress users to add customized lists of posts in WordPress, however its really easy to do this with a few simple lines of code. Doing this eliminates the excessive use of WordPress plugins.
16. WordPress & jQuery Contact Form without a Plugin
There are lots of WordPress plugins for contact forms, but wouldn’t it be nice to have more control over the markup? In this tutorial, I am going to show how to use a custom page template to create a contact form in WordPress without a plugin.
17. How To Display Your Feedburner Count And Twitter Followers Without Chicklets
Feedburner offers a great chicklet which allows you to add your subscriber count to your site, and for Twitter you can use a chicklet to display your followers from a service such as twittercounter.com. What I’m going to show you today is a method of displaying these counts without actually using a chicklet which will allow you to customise how your stats will be displayed.
How To Display Your Feedburner Count And Twitter Followers Without Chicklets » Get Hosting »
18. How To: Inserting Google Maps into WordPress
Todays Tutorial is How To insert Google Maps into WordPress Posts/Pages without Plugin, we only need to write a Google Maps shortcode and we can put our own maps easily.
19. Valid, SEO-Friendly Post Translation Links
Ever wanted to provide automatic language translations of your web pages without installing another plugin? Here is a valid, SEO-friendly technique that takes advantage of Google’s free translation service. All you need is a PHP-enabled server and you’re good to go.
20. How to add / integrate a flickr gallery to WordPress without a plugin
If you’re like me and don’t like installing one more plugin for everything you need on your WordPress installation, then here’s a solution for you if you want to integrate a Flickr gallery on your blog. Of course WordPress plugins are great, but there are a lot of things that can be done without them. And the cool part is you can do it even better than the plugins, because custom codes will let you do exactly what you need and like.