I was not much of a Twitter fan, I just recently rediscovered the potential of it and how useful, fun, and addictive it is. Now I understand why people want a Twitter App with everything. As a platform WordPress is no different, it has so many Twitter plugins available for WordPress powered websites. These plugins allow you to add twitter functionality into your website, allow your users to interact with your content on Twitter, and make sharing easy and fun.
Twitter Follow Me Box
The first thing that any Twitter user might want on their WordPress website is a follow me button. There is a simple way to generate a follow me button from Twitter website. However, there are many other different ways to make your Follow Me button more compelling. Twitter Follow me box, is one such way. It adds a “Follow Me bird” on either sides of your website. This bird just sits there and scrolls as visitors scroll your content.
- Adds Follow Me box with Twitter bird on either side of your layout.
- Follow Me Box scrolls down as user scrolls your website.
- You can change the color of the box and the bird as well.
- You can also set the height from the top.
- Easy to configure and use.
WP to Twitter
Another most often sought functionality is the ability to automatically tweet whenever a new post is published. WP to Twitter is an easy to use but powerful plugin to do that.
- Post an update on Twitter when you publish a new post.
- Create custom Tweet format from settings or write your own Tweet from post editor.
- It can use your WordPress tags as #hashtags.
- Supports multiple url shortening services.
- Supports Google Analytics.
- Can support multiple authors and adds their twitter handles with tweets.
- Adds a Follow button to the tweet.
- Adds Reply, Retweet, and Favorite links
- Does not copy the style of the original tweet which is kind of good because some people don’t use very good colors on their twitter profiles.
- No configuration required works out of the box.
Twitter Mentions as Comments
We all want to know what others are talking about us, right? Well, at least I do. I love to search who is talking about my posts, linking back to me, retweeting my content or sharing it. Twitter Mentions as comments makes it little easier for you to keep record of who talked about your posts on Twitter. Unlike Disqus commenting system, which adds tweets as reactions, this plugin adds tweets as comments.
Article Continues Below
- Searches Twitter for your post urls.
- Inserts them as comments with your post.
- You can also stop it from adding your own tweets by adding your twitter handler in the wordpress moderation list.
- Adds Twitter username in the name and profile url in the URL.
- Plugin author actively provides support on the plugin page on his own website.
Juiz Last Tweet Widget
- Shows your last tweet in a widget.
- You can use your own CSS to style your tweet differently.
- Displays links, hashtags, user link and source link.
- You can adjust the number of last tweets you want to display.
- Comes with adjustable cache system (a very useful feature for busy websites).
- Fast and Easy to use.
Twitter Digest plugin allows you to publish a daily or a weekly post containing tweets from a Twitter account. This plugin uses pseudo-cron functionality that comes with the WordPress. The plugin options page gives you full control over what you publish in your Twitter digest.
- You can set the post title.
- Choose frequency (Weekly or Daily).
- Choose category or tags for the digest post.
- Exclude replies and retweets from the digest.
- Set a maximum and minimum number of tweets to publish.
- Set a post status. Selecting published will automatically publish the post, I would recommend choosing daft this will give you a chance to review the post before it goes live.
Tweet Old Post
Many people use Twitter to effectively drive traffic to their blogs and websites. There are several WordPress plugins that can help you with that. One such plugin is Tweet Old Post, which I think is a must for anyone using Twitter for traffic to their websites. It randomly picks an old post from your blogs and tweets it.
- Powerful features allow you to set how you tweet your old posts.
- You can add text to before and after the tweet.
- You can choose maximum or minimum age for posts to be tweeted.
- Add an interval to define how often you want to Tweet old posts.
- You can create hashtags from tags or categories to be added with the tweet.
TwitPic Plugin for WordPress
TwitPic Plugin for WordPress displays latest pictures from TwitPic into your sidebar. This is a really helpful plugin for people who share pictures on Twitter via TwitPic. Adding it in the sidebar allows you to take your pictures out of your Twitter stream and share them on your blog or website.
- You can set the number of images you want to show.
- You can adjust thumbnail size.
- You cannot edit CSS from the Plugin options but you can modify it in the twitpic.css file.
- You can also adjust how images, your twitter profile or twitpic profile are linked.
WordTwit Pro – Premium Twitter Plugin for WordPress
WordTwit Pro is the successor of the older free plugin WordTwit. It allows you to publish tweets to your twitter accounts from your WordPress website. The pro version comes with many new and powerful features.
- It can handle multiple twitter accounts, which you can use to tweet your posts.
- On websites with multiple authors each author can integrate their own twitter account.
- You can schedule tweets to be posted later.
- Adds a WordTwit pro admin Widget into post editor and admin interface.
- Easy click and edit options for tweets scheduled.
- You can choose a custom Twitter application name.
WordTwit Pro »
Twitter WPress Plugin
Twitter WPress is a premium plugin that adds the power of Twitter into your WordPress website. It allows you to use Twitter connect for your site’s visitors, you can post tweets on user’s timeline, allow users to register on your WordPress website using their Twitter username and password.
- Integrate Twitter into your WordPress website by using Twitter connect.
- Visitors can register at your website using their Twitter credentials.
- Provides widgets to display twitter followers, last connected users, and Twitter connect.
- You can add a Twitter profile widget, Twitter search widget.
- Using shortcodes you can also add Tweet button and Follow button anywhere you want.
Twitter WPress Plugin »
Twitter WPress Plugin
Twitter Ultimate – A WordPress Plugin offer following features
- Realtime Twitter Feed-Live Tweets
- A realtime incoming tweets,live tweets
- Shortcodes which helps to embed directly into page or post
- Multiple instances
- You can have multiple instances of twitter ultimate feed
- Multiple Query/Username Options
- You can display tweets from multiple queries or usernames
- Two types of search
- You can either display tweets from usernames or tweets mentioning a word
- Autoplay On/Off
- Realtime incoming tweets can be disabled/enabled on load
- Start/Stop Feed
- Options to start or pause incoming tweets
- Speed Control Options
- Ability to control speed of incoming tweets
- Tweets count options
- Options to control number of tweets to be shown in the feed
- Width Control options
- Options to control width of the feed widget
- Easily Customizable
- You can easily customize it.
Twitter Ultimate »
Birdo makes WordPress comments more powerful and social. It lets your users comment with a tweet, spurring the conversation and promoting your website at the same time.
Premium WordPress plugin for displaying Twitter search results in your posts, pages and widgets.
Twitter Updates Widget
With this widget, you can show your latest tweets on your website. Create your own widget with its great customizability.
Twitter Updates Widget »
Twitter Trending Widget
Twitter Trending Widget »