This week, the plugin review team put out a post titled “Please do not submit frameworks“, in which they clarified that the official directory should not be used to host frameworks:
Having a framework as a plugin is a poor experience for the user. Not the developer. The user. The user understands â€śI have an add-on for WooCommerce, I probably need Woo.â€ť They do not always understand â€śI have plugin Slider Joe. Why do I need Advanced Custom Fields?â€ť In addition, by having a library as a plugin, the onus of version compatibility is now on the person least likely to understand it: the user.
This is despite a number of frameworks such as Redux (200k installs), already residing there.
Also noticed today, is a very moving video posted by Pressnomics where Joshua Strebel of Pagely travelled to interview Alex King on video, as it turned out, 10 days before his passing from cancer. I recommend you take a look at the video, posted here on the Pressnomics blog.
WordPress News and Articles
- Alex King Video Interview – Joshua Strebel Interviews Alex King 10 Days Before His Death.
- BuddyPress 2.5.0 Released – Features Customizable Emails and Support for Emoji.
- The WordPress Plugin Directory Update – Will No Longer Accept Frameworks.
- Stripe Payment Gateway for WooCommerce Is Now Available for Free – Good news for WooShop owners.
- Sharing GPL Code and Its Ethics – Respecting your clients when it comes to GPL code created for them.
- Who is the WordPress REST API really serving? – Thoughts in the REST API.
- This is hard: Raising your prices – Chris Lema on raising your price.
Tutorials and How-Tos
- How to Add Google Fonts to Your WordPress Site – Spice up your site with the Google fonts library.
- Introduction to the WordPress REST API – More info on this exciting feature.
- Making an Original Corporate Theme in WordPress – Designing Other Page Types.
- How to Work With WordPress Post Metadata – Metadata tutorial.
- Harness the Power of WP-CLI to Manage Your WordPress Sites – Managing sites from the command line.
- The importance of product reviews and how to get them – Gaining product reviews for your eCommerce site.
Resources & Freebies
- GoodLife Magazine Theme Review – Create Premium News & Magazine Websites with WordPress.
- Envira Gallery Review – A Powerful Free WordPress Gallery Plugin.
- Free Grid WordPress Themes 2016 – for Portfolio, Photography or Pinterest Style Websites.
- Double Take: MachoThemesâ€™ Free WordPress Themes Pixova and Regina – 2 nice free themes reviewed at WPKube.
- Make Your WordPress Site Multilingual: 9 Awesome Translation Plugins – How to support multiple languages in WordPress.
- WordPress AMP Plugins: Accelerated Mobile Pages – Collection of plugins for AMP and WordPress.
- Product Hunt Collections for WordPress – List of WordPress tools on ProductHunt.