I recently became aware of a new theme company called DesignerThemes – I loved the design of their website and checking out their themes I found them to be of a really high standard, design-wise. They currently have two themes up for sale, Boxie by Chris Rowe and Showcase by Tung Do. I have been a fan of Tung Do’s WordPress themes for ages, he founded WPDesigner and gave away loads of quality themes there (no longer runs the site), he is now a part of the theme club DevPress.
DesignerThemes gave me a copy of the Showcase theme which is really clean-looking portfolio theme – in this review I will take a closer look at it.
Setting up the Theme
Once I uploaded and activated the theme, I was presented with this screen and the option to install the “Default Theme Configuration” which I did :
With the default options loaded you are now presented with a very attractive options panel, I will now go through the various menu items.
General Theme Settings
The first tab is “General” which has the following sub options :
- Design Settings – Choose light or dark theme, upload a logo & favicon and add any custom CSS rules.
- SEO & Site Analytics – Various SEO options and space to insert your Google Analytics Code
- Comments – Enable/Disable comments & upload default avatar to use
- Contact Form – Enter your email & Change the text for the form
- RSS, Newsletter & Social Profiles – Enter your Feedburner, Twitter, Facebook & Flickr details.
This part of the theme really impressed me, the layout options tab has the following sub headings :
- Homepage – Choose from 16 different layouts, to have a sidebar & Post order
- Categories, Archives & Search Results – Another 16 layouts to choose from
- Blog Category Settings – Apply different layouts to different categories
- Single Posts and Pages – Choose to have sidebar on left or right for each type
The next tab along is Display Options with the following sub headings :
- Image Thumbnails – Control Resizing and Placeholder images
- Homepage – Enter some welcome text and enable layout switcher
- Categories, Archives & Search Results – Change Read More link text and enable layout switcher
- Related Posts – Enable this feature & Change settings for it
Here you can control all aspects of your sites navigation :
- Header & Footer Navigation
- Bread Crumb Navigation
- Pagination Settings
Edit / Translate Text
This menu option is a nice touch – it lists all the text that is used around the theme and lets you translate or just change it to something else :
I really liked this theme, the front-end is well-designed and polished and the backend is just as well designed and thought out. DesignerThemes have got a great product on their hands – I look forward to seeing other themes that they produce.
Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links for which we will receive compensation if a purchase is made via the link.